PROHIBITING SEX-BASED DISCRIMINATION
Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 (“Title IX”) is a federal law that prohibits sex-based discrimination in all educational programs and activities, including athletic programs. No person shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any educational program or activity operated by SBUSD. Title IX protects all participants in SBUSD's educational programs and activities, including students, parents, employees, and job applicants. SBUSD does not discriminate on the basis of sex. Discrimination on the basis of sex can include sexual harassment and sexual violence.
In addition to Title IX, the California Education Code prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex in schools. (California Education Code §§ 220-221.1.) Other state and federal laws also prohibit discrimination and ensure equality in education. Please refer to the following specific policies and procedures regarding sexual harassment:
- Personnel - Board Policy 4119.11
- Personnel - Administrative Regulation 4119.11
- Personnel - Board Policy 4030
- Personnel - Administrative Regulation 4030
- Students – Board Policy 5145.7
- Students – Administrative Regulation 5145.7
- Students - Board Policy 5145.3
- Students - Administrative Regulation 5145.3
Title IX Coordinator: Gary Storts, Superintendent
South Bay Union School District
Eureka, CA 95503
707-267-9174 | email@example.com
FOR MORE INFORMATION
- Website of the United States Department of Education Office for Civil Rights: http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/index.html
- Webpage on sex discrimination at http://www2.ed.gov/policy/rights/guid/ocr/sex.html
- Review United States Department of Education Office for Civil Rights, Know Your Rights documents:
- Title IX prohibits sexual harassment and sexual violence: https://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/docs/title-ix-rights-201104.pdf.
- Title IX prohibits discrimination against pregnant or parenting individuals: http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/docs/dcl-know-rights-201306-title-ix.pdf.
- Website of the California Department of Education Office of Equal Opportunity: http://www.cde.ca.gov/re/di/eo/
- Webpage on Gender Equity/Title IX : http://www.cde.ca.gov/re/di/eo/genequitytitleix.asp